Gutters keep your home dry and safe from water damage. It can be difficult to keep your gutters clean especially if nearby trees constantly shed leaves, twigs, and needles onto your roof, which clog up your gutters. This not only hurts your gutters and roof, it promotes the buildup of mold and mildew, which can seep into the walls of your home. Also, gutters weighed down by a substantial amount of organic material can quite literally fall off the house if left unchecked. If your gutters frequently become clogged with leaves and debris, you need to install gutter covers, also known as gutter guards that block debris and only let the rain flow through your gutters. Here's how to install the gutter covers quickly and easily.
- Snap-on solid gutter guards that fit inside your gutters
- Before you head out to the hardware store, measure your gutters. Make sure to take your time and measure carefully. Otherwise, if you purchase the wrong size, you will have to do a lot of trimming.
- Before installing the gutters, give your gutters a thorough cleaning.
- Begin your install on the gutter edge furthest from the downspout so the last piece will be next to the downspout. This way, when you need to clean the gutters, you can do so easily by removing the last piece and flushing any accumulation down the downspout.
- Slide the cover under the shingles until the cover clip is at the front of the gutter and press it forward till the cover snaps into the gutter. Don't worry about bending or breaking the cover. You will need some muscle power to snap the cover into place. There will be a loud snap once the cover is in the right place.
- Continue to slide in pieces of gutter cover and snapping them into place. When you get to the end of the gutters, you may have to cut the final piece of cover by using a sharp set of scissors or snips.
Some Additional Tips
- Install the right type of gutter guards. If your gutters become clogged soon after a cleaning, it's better to invest in solid gutter guards. The mesh or plastic screen type of covers let in dirt and debris and it's harder to clean the gutters with the guards on. Although solid gutter covers tend to be more expensive, they will save you from cleaning your gutters more often by only letting the water in.
- Keep in mind that gutter covers might be difficult to install for low-pitched roofs. It's better to contact a professional to do the install.
It's hazardous to let leaves and twigs accumulate in your gutters. Follow the steps above to install gutter covers and protect your home from costly damage. For further assistance, contact professionals, such as those from Allstate Gutter & Siding.